Leaving Care Service - My Place 

(Ngan-na Mia)

My Place, operating in the South Rockingham and Mandurah areas supports young people who are moving from care to independent living.

My Place Youth Workers offer information, individual planning help, referral to other services, hands-on living skills development, and advocacy in housing, education, employment, training and health.
The service is for young people aged 14-25 who:

    • are in foster care
    • are in the care of the Department of Communities
    • have left foster care or a group home
    • are preparing to leave care.

 Leaving Care 2013

We help you to...

  • Work out what you want and how to get it and keep it
  • Increase your knowledge, skills and confidence in living independently
  • Reduce the likelihood of any crises when you leave care
  • Find alternative, safe, supportive long term housing if you can’t live with your family
  • Improve your relationships with your family and friends
  • Link to appropriate services such as employment, training, education, accommodation, counselling and recreation
  • Get funding to purchase white goods, furniture and other household items to set up your home.

How we work...

My Place works in three stages. You may enter, leave and re-enter at any stage.
1.  Preparation for leaving care: For 14-17 year olds living in foster care or a group home – to talk about the future.
2.  Moving towards independent living: For people aged over 16 who have the skills and want to live independently – we support you as you transition to independent living.
3.  After care while living independently: For people already living independently – we offer help to maintain housing and support networks.

How do I get into My Place?

You need a referral from staff at the Department of Communities or other youth organisations. Talk to your caseworker.

When is it open?

Monday to Friday 8.30 am to 4.30 pm
Times outside these hours can be negotiated with the workers if you are in school or work.

Contact us for more information or call us during business hours on (08) 9245 2441.
This program is funded by the WA Department of Communities

Click here for a copy of the Leaving Care brochure.

Download Referral Form

Useful links

Advocate for Children in Care
Judy Garsed
Phone (08) 9222 2518 Freecall 1800 460 696 or judy.garsed@cpfs.wa.gov.au 
The Department of Communities wants to protect and promote the interests of children and young people in care, and the Advocate for Children in Care focuses on them, their views and concerns.

Create Foundation WA
Phone (08) 6399 0252 Freecall 1800 655 105 or wa@create.org.au 
Create WA connects and empowers children and young people in care and improves the care system through policy advice, programs and activities.

Ignition WA
One stop shop for young people leaving care. Share stories and links to services.

Phone (08) 9721 1122, 0427 380 624
Support for young people aged 14-25 who are leaving care in the South West or Great Southern regions of Western Australia. A Mission Australia program.

Crossroads West
Phone (08) 9328 1600 Freecall 1800 447 797 or tss@aus.salvationarmy.org 
A Salvation Army program.