Grandparent Carers Research
In 2016 Wanslea was awarded a $1 million Lotterywest research grant designed to deliver more effective support to the rapidly growing number of grandparents who have full-time care of their grandchildren.
The research is being conducted by researchers from Curtin University (Curtin), Edith Cowan University (ECU), and the University of WA (UWA) under the guidance of Wanslea’s Grandparent Carer Research Advisory Group.
Curtin University will oversee the service and policy mapping and ECU will lead the research related to the experiences and implications of and for grandparent carers.
Denise Gray was employed in February 2017 as the project officer. Her responsibilities relate to the organisational and operational aspects of the research project. Over the last 12 months Denise has been instrumental in preparing and finalising engagement with the University partners and coordinating the Grandparent Carer Research Advisory Group which was established in 2013.
This group will provide guidance, direction, expertise and strategic communication to and for the project.
We also have a newly formed Working Group which met for the first time in November 2017. They work specifically on the Grandcare project whereas the Advisory Group help to develop any research which concerns grandparent carers.
The research team is comprised of Professor Ruth Marquis (ECU), Dr David Coall (ECU), Liz Wenden (ECU), Dr Barbara Blundell (Curtin), Dr Tina Fernandez (Curtin),Dr Mark Liddiard (Curtin) and Jess Gilbert (Curtin).
Dr Katrina Stratton and Denise Gray form the research and evaluation team at Wanslea.
The Research Team
Dr Katrina Stratton
Dr Stratton PhD is the Coordinator for Research and Evaluation at Wanslea Family Services.
She is responsible for developing and implementing a research strategy and building research
culture across the organisation.
Dr Barbara Blundell (Principal Investigator)
Dr Blundell BSW (hons) PhD is Lecturer and Teaching and Research Academic
in the School of Occupational Therapy and Social Work at Curtin University.
Dr. Tina Fernandes (Co-investigator)
Dr Fernandes PhD is Lecturer and Course Coordinator, Bachelor of Social Work
at Curtin University with the School of Occupational Therapy and Social Work.
Dr Mark Liddiard (Co-investigator)
Dr Liddiard PhD is a Senior Lecturer in Social Policy in the School of Occupational Therapy and Social Work
at Curtin University and has an extensive background in social policy and research methods.
Professor Ruth Marquis
Ruth is a Professor of Occupational Therapy
within the School of Medical and Health Sciences.
Dr David Coall (Lead Investigator)
Dr Coall is a Senior Lecturer, Researcher and the Human Biology Course
Coordinator in Biomedical Science within the School of Medical and Health Sciences.
Project Updates (November 2017)
• Research contracts signed between Wanslea, Curtin and ECU
• Presented a conference paper (Wanslea, Curtin and ECU) at the Family and Relationship Services Australia (FRSA) conference in Melbourne in November 2017
• The designing and planning of children’s camps with interested parties has commenced
• ECU and Curtin have received executive ethics approval to begin their research
• Design and development of the ECU survey is underway
• Work has commenced (in conjunction with Kurongkurl Katitjin, ECU) on the multi-generational family matrix for grandcarers
• Curtin has commenced a literature review and mapping exercise which aims to draw together previous research about support and services for grandparent carers, along with related government and organisational documents.
If you would like to be kept up to date via email or are interested in being a grandparent carer in our survey, then please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org